Learning Enhancement Projects (LEPs) are one of four initiatives being supported through MTU’s allocation of Strategic Alignment of Teaching and Learning Enhancement (SATLE) 2022/23 funding. To allow for a breadth of projects to be supported, MTU has allocated between €220,000 and €280,000 to this initiative.
The approach taken in previous rounds of SATLE funding will continue and will provide MTU colleagues the opportunity to seek funding for innovations and projects in Teaching, Learning, Assessment and Student Engagement (TLASE) of up to €20,000. However, a development for SATLE 2022/23 provides increased funding of up to €35,000 for innovations for projects that seek to further develop existing TLASE activity.
Consequently, two funding streams will be available:
- LEPs: >=€5000 and <=€20000
- LEPs+: >€20000 and <=€35000
Criteria for all project submissions
All project submissions must meet the following criteria:
- Focus on one of three themes specified by the Higher Education Authority (HEA) and the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (NFETLHE)
- Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
- Digital Transformation in the Tertiary Sector
- Best Practice in Upholding and Cultivating Academic Integrity
- Align with MTU Strategy
- Have approval of the relevant Head of Function
- Have a clearly costed and evidenced budget plan
- Identify clear point of impact
All projects should also consider appropriate student-staff engagement opportunities, where appropriate, as the NFETLHE are keen to encourage activity that supports student-staff partnership, co-creation with students, and students informing project development and delivery.
Additional Criteria for LePs+ project submissions
LEPs+ project submissions must also meet the following additional criteria:
- Involve and actively engage a team of staff (and ideally students)
- Involve active participation by Heads of Function
- Build on and be informed by existing internal or external TLASE practice/evidence
- Demonstrate capacity for at least one of the following:
- Expand existing TLASE innovation to a broader reach in MTU,
- Enable a range of separate TLASE activities/initiatives to combine into a more coherent offering or project
- Transition from an operational (single area/function) TLASE impact to a strategic (cross-department/institution-wide) TLASE impact
- Support cross-programme/function/campus TLASE links
- Develop and contribute to whole-of-institution Policy or Practice
How to submit a project proposal
Please note applications will only be accepted via the online application form. However, an application form template is also available to assist with the preparation of applications as well as the criteria that will be used to assess applications.
Please note the following key dates:
- Opening Date for Applications: 21st February 2023
- Closing Date for Applications: 22nd March 2023
- Completion of Review of Applications: 30th March 2023
- Applicants Notified of Outcome: 17th April 2023
- All Funding Spent & Projects Completed: 31st December 2023
An information session was held 20/02/2023 which will be of use to anyone considering applying. You can also view the slidedeck.
For or further information, queries or to discuss potential project ideas, please contact:
- Catherine Murphy (firstname.lastname@example.org) – MTU Cork Campuses
- Margaret Finch (email@example.com) – MTU Kerry Campuses