The Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Digital Badge Digital was developed as part of the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (NFETLHE) Open Courses initiative for Professional Development by MTU and MIC. This badge was previously delivered in Spring 2020 by Deirdre Goggin, MTU, and Dr Cathal De Paor, MIC.
RPL promotes equity of access and participation in higher education by recognising learning that happens outside of the traditional lecture theatre. This badge enables higher education academic staff to gain an understanding of what RPL means within their own context and to reflect on its application and potential in not alone their own institution but also in the higher education sector in Ireland.
An MTU-facilitated rollout of the badge led by Deirdre Goggin will be offered online via Canvas and will commence on Friday, 3rd February 2023 from 14:00-15:00.
You can find out more about this rollout by viewing the recent online information session that the Extended Campus and TLU jointly hosted about this and other CPD opportunities.
What’s involved in earning the digital badge?
In total, the badge requires approximately 25 hours of learner effort over 6 weeks through a combination of online self-paced material together with 1-hour weekly webinars. We operate a flipped classroom approach, where new material is made available weekly.
What’s the badge delivery schedule?
The 6 week schedule will involve:
- Week 1 – Introduction to RPL
- Week 2- RPL in Education
- Week 3- Impact of RPL for institutions, staff and students
- Week 4- Policy and practice of RPL
- Week 5- RPL and learning and programme outcomes
- Week 6- Preparation and submission of your reflective journal and report
What’s in it for me?
Participation in this badge provides you with the opportunity to:
- Gain a better understanding of RPL and its relevance within higher education and an institutional context
- Reflect on the relevance of RPL to your own professional context
What are the badge criteria?
This badge will give you an introduction to the concept of RPL and invite you to review and update your Teaching and Learning practice:
By completing this badge, you will:
- Explain the concept of RPL and reflect on its application within their own professional context
- Identify existing policies and consider their alignment with teaching, learning and assessment practice
- Analyse the relationship between learning and programme outcomes and RPL
- Reflect on the potential impact of RPL for an institution, its staff and students
How do I become a Facilitator?
To become a facilitator, you must complete the initial 6-week course and an additional 2-week facilitator course.
How do I sign up?
This initiative is open to any staff member interested in learning more about RPL so if you would like to get involved register now for the RPL Digital Badge - MTU-Facilitated Rollout Semester 2 2022/23 which commences on Friday 3rd February 2023 so we can advise you how to enrol in the associated Canvas module, dates and time of online webinars/workshops, etc.
Where can I get further information?
For further information or queries please contact the badge facilitator:
- Deirdre Goggin (Deirdre.email@example.com)