Have you an idea for a Teaching and Learning Project to improve the student and/or staff learning experience?
Would you like the opportunity to trial an initiative to build or enhance Student Engagement?
The Teaching & Learning Unit (TLU) and AnSEO – The Student Engagement Office are now inviting applications from faculty/schools/departments/central services for funding, of up to €2000, to develop projects that positively impact on teaching, learning, assessment and student engagement.
We are particularly interested in receiving applications for funding around the following themes/approaches:
- Assessment and Feedback
- Active Learning
- Student-staff collaboration
- Inter/Cross-Disciplinary Colloboration
Please note the following key dates:
- Closing date for applications is Tuesday, 8th June 2021 @ 17:00
- Applicants will be notified by Wednesday, 16th June 2021
What funding streams are available?
There are three funding options available, 2 from TLU and 1 from AnSEO, as follows :
- TLU Teaching and Learning Development Fund - for projects that seek to enhance any aspect of Teaching and Learning experience.
- TLU Learning Community Fund - for groups of like-minded individuals to meet and learn together, sharing ideas through workshops, conferences or resource development.
- AnSEO Transitions to MTU Fund - for projects that impact any aspect of transitions that students experience (adjusting socially/academically into first year; settling into second, third or final year of their studies; moving from undergraduate to postgraduate study; returning from periods of work placement to full time study; adjusting from employment into full-time or part-time study).
How much funding is available?
Up to €2000, although larger sums may be applied for if matched funding can be secured from the home department/unit.
What period is funding available for?
Funding can be made available for one or more of the following periods:
- Before 31st August 2021
- Semester 1, 2021-22
- Semester 2, 2021-22
Depending on when funding is applied for, all associated spending must be completed as follows:
- Before 31st August 2021 applications - 31st August 2021
- Semester 1, 2021/22 applications – 31st January 2022
- Semester 2, 2021/22 applications – 31st August 2022
What does the funding cover?
Meeting costs, materials, equipment, software, travel, conference fees, printing, visiting speakers/facilitators fee, etc. Other reasonable requests may also be considered (please note: funding cannot be used to buy out lecturing time of staff).
What do we expect from you?
Should a project receive approval for funding, we expect the following from the project team:
- A record of the project spend and assurance it is in line with MTU Finance Office policy.
- Provision of a short activity report following completion the project funded, a template of which can be found here, to include photographs, testimonials, copies of promotional materials etc.
- A commitment to disseminate ideas, good practice/outcomes and capture feedback/impact of the project, e.g. via departmental/school/faculty/institution websites, poster/paper submissions for conferences, seminars, workshops, publications, award applications, etc.
What can you expect from us?
All applicants can expect to receive useful and relevant feedback on their application. In addition, successful applicants can expect our support to:
- Develop useful connections to individuals, or groups, where related ideas, practices and experiences can be shared or built.
- Explore how their work might, if appropriate, be mainstreamed so as to have maximum impact on the MTU community
How will applications be evaluated?
Broadly speaking, applications will be assessed in terms of how well their work is planned, how innovative the application is, what impact the outputs might have on teaching, learning, assessment and student engagement, how sustainable and transferable the outputs may be across the institute. An outline of the assessment criteria that will be used to review applications is available here.
How do I apply?
Only applications submitted via our online application form will be considered - however, a proposal template is developed for the convenience of project leads to help in the preparation of applications.
Is there anyone I can talk to informally before applying?
We, the AnSEO and TLU teams, would be more than happy to talk to you informally beforehand, particularly if this is your first time in applying.
If you have any queries or would like to discuss your application prior to submitting, then you can contact: