The Teaching and Learning Development Fund is one of three funding streams available from the Teaching & Learning Unit (TLU) which can be accessed each year through the TLU and AnSEO- The Student Engagement Office’s Combined Funding Call.
Information Session: Learning Communities and TLU Development Fund
Date: 11th May 2022
The purpose of the following session was to provide more information about the funding process itself, describe what supports are available and the impact these projects have on staff and students.
In the academic year 2015/2016, the TLU sent out its first invitation to staff and/or students to apply for funding to develop new learning, teaching and/or assessment activities that would support and enhance teaching and learning practices in MTU Cork.
The following booklets give an overview of projects supported between
- 2015 and 2017
What are the objectives of the fund?
The objectives of the Teaching & Learning Development Fund are:
- To provide funding for projects led by staff and/or students that seek to enhance learning and teaching.
- To provide funding for projects led by staff and/or students that seek to explore innovative developments in teaching and learning.
- To create opportunities for staff and students to exchange practice and ideas through Departmental/Faculty/School and MTU-wide dissemination to achieve maximum impact.
Who should apply?
Any individual staff member, student or team (academic, technical, administrative) who would like to develop an idea or project related to teaching and learning. Please note, any student led project needs to have an academic mentor in place.
What types of project get funded?
Most projects tend to be based around Teaching and Learning enhancement, student/lecturer engagement, but also participants have successfully run seminars, workshops, developed teaching aids, improved feedback and assessment, improved departmental systems, carried out basic research, set up Learning Communities, etc.
What outputs have been generated from previous projects?
Examples of outputs generated from previous projects include:
- Instructional Videos.
- Innovative methods to reduce assessment load.
- Better study notes for students.
- Greater collaboration between students and staff during lectures.
- More efficient use of technology in delivering lecture content.
How long do projects run for?
Projects run for any duration from a single day event to a semester long or even year-long initiative.
Where can I get ideas and inspiration?
The following are some useful websites that can be browsed for ideas and inspiration:
- National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching & Learning in Higher Education’s Resource Hub
- Advance HE
Is there anyone I can talk to about applying for this funding?
If you have any queries or would like to discuss a potential application prior to submitting, then you can contact:
- Prof Jim O'Mahony, TLU, Ext 5485 or email@example.com