The TLU has developed the 'Enhancing Teaching Through Interactive Classes to Engage Students, EnTICE', Digital Badge, as part of the Professional Development Framework of 'The National Forum for the Enhancemt of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education'
The aim of this course is to:
- Increase your awareness of different teaching strategies, with a particular emphasis on 'Active Learning'
- Enable participants to think critically about your teaching and your students learning
- Engage with your students and consistantly seek feedback and check understanding
- Define and evaluate effective teaching strategies that you can implement in various Teaching and Learning environments
The following short video provides an overview of the programme:
WHAT IS A DIGITAL BADGE?
A digital badge is a visual representation of a skill, achievement or knowledge gained which can be displayed or shared online via a variety of platforms (e.g. blogs, websites, ePortfolios, social media sites etc.).
Digital badges have metadata embedded which outline information about the badge, i.e. the badge issuer, criteria for earning the badge, evidence of achievement, expiration of the badge etc. Those who earn badges can use display platforms such as Open Badge Passport, Mozilla Backpack or Credly, to display their badges online making them available to potential employers, voluntary organisations and other interested parties.
Digital badges are commonly used to recognise learning that occurs outside of the classroom e.g. extra/co-curricular activities such as volunteering, mentoring, tutoring, participation in societies and entrepreneurial schemes. Badges can also be integrated into academic programmes and modules where they are linked to a specific skill or seen as a type of ‘micro-credential’ or milestone intended to motivate and encourage learners.
WHO IS THE EnTICE DIGITAL BADGE FOR?
The EnTICE Digial Badge is for anyone teaching in Higher Education in Ireland. Participants who complete the EnTICE Digital Badge gain recognition for the devlopment of skills and knowledge relevant to their Teaching and Learning practice under the National Professioanal Development Framework in the areas of:
- Personal Development
- Personal and Professional Digital Capacity
- Professional Identity, Values and Development
- Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Professional Communication and Dialogue
WHAT ARE THE EnTICE BADGE CRITERIA?
The learner should be able to:
- Reflect on and document a challenging aspect of your own teaching to date
- Discuss and evaluate some case studies
- Develop a reader response and a micro teaching session on any active learning strategy
- Implement, reflect and collate feedback on a teaching strategy you used to overcome any of the teaching and learning related issues you’ve identified
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
- The course is run over 6 weeks, comprising of 6 x 1 hour Weekly Webinars
- Online Self-Paced material is available for participants to complete at their convenience
- We use a flipped classroom approach, where new material is made available weekly
HOW DO I BECOME A FACILITATOR?
To become a facilitator you must complete the initial 6 Week Course and an additional 2 Week Facilitator Course.