The TLU has developed the Master of Arts (MA) in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education which aims to equip its graduates with the knowledge, skills and competencies to:
- Design, deliver, evaluate and reflect on quality, learner-centred educational programmes
- Research key issues in teaching and learning in higher education (HE)
- Contribute to the scholarship of teaching and learning.
Who is it for?
This programme is aimed at CIT staff who are interested in:
- Acquiring knowledge, skills and competencies in teaching and learning in higher education
- Developing the knowledge, skills and competence to design and deliver high quality educational programmes and modules
- Improving some aspect of their teaching and learning practice
- Obtaining a Masters qualification (or embedded awards of Postgraduate Diploma, or Certificate)
- Developing high level skills of enquiry
- Acquiring research skills and applying those skills to key issues in teaching and learning practice and policy
How long will it take?
The programme is offered on a part-time basis, so theoretically:
- The Higher Certificate can be achieved in one academic year by completing three 10-credit modules.
- The Postgraduate Diploma can be achieved in two academic years by completing six 10-credit modules.
- The MA can be achieved over three academic years by completing seven 10-credit modules and a 20-credit project.
What’s in it for you?
- A professional qualification in Teaching and Learning at Level 9.
- An opportunity to enhance your teaching and learning practice through structured learning activities and informal discussions with colleagues
- An opportunity to develop expertise in educational research and contribute to educational literature.
What is the structure of the programme?
The structure of the programme is as follows:
To obtain a masters qualification the participant is required to acquire 90 ECTS credits by completing seven 10-credit modules and a 20-credit project. However, the participant also has the option to obtain the embedded awards of:
- Postgraduate Diploma, by completing six 10-credit modules.
- Certificate, by completing three 10-credit modules.
What is the plan for delivery of the programme?
The following is the proposed delivery of modules on MA in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education:
Modules will run subject to demand (i.e. at least 5 staff express an interest in completing the module).
For more information on any of the above modules go to https://courses.cit.ie/
Can I register for individual modules?
For details on how to register for individual modules, contact the programme coordinator, Dr Tom O’Mahony (email@example.com)
Where can I get further information?
Informal information sessions will be held at the start of each semester so keep an eye out for notification via email, the TLU website news and what’s on sections or on social media.